Wednesday, April 8, 2015

We Are Called to Be Free!

Galatians 5:13-14,
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b]
 

In Paul’s letter to the Galatians, he was addressing the conflict over circumcision. He tells them not be bound by the former things because Christ has made all things new. He reminds them that in Christ, we are free but not to use the freedom to indulge the flesh, sinful nature. As believers, we are to serve one another humbly in love. We are to live by the Spirit, therefore, we will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law Galatians 5:17-18.
This is how we are called to live differently from the world. We are free from the consequences of sin as long as we choose to live according to the Spirit and not the flesh. Yet, if we fall short and we will. God is faithful and when we confess and turn back to Him, He will forgive us and give us a fresh start. I know that I have fallen short many a time and I have experienced God's grace when I was prompt to admit my wrong.

In 1 Timothy chapter 6:17-18, Paul instructs Timothy to command the rich not to be arrogant or put their hope in their wealth but put their hope in God. They are to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. I believe that as believers we to are called to do the same, to be rich in good deeds and to be generous. This is pleasing to God. Paul summed it all up in Galatians 5:6b, The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Footnotes: [a] In contexts like this, the Greek word for flesh (sarx) refers to the sinful state of human beings, often presented as a power in opposition to the Spirit; also in verses 16, 17, 19 and 24; and in 6:8. [b] Leviticus 19:18 [c]  Or you do not do what (Bible Gateway) Scriptures taken from the NIV.

My prayer: Dear Father in heaven, help me to live by the Spirit so that I do not gratify my sinful nature. By Your Spirit, help me to be rich in good deeds, to be generous and willing to share so that in doing so it brings You glory and draws others to You. Give me the desire to humbly serve others in love as You would have me to do not as I would do. Amen.


Disclaimer: I am sharing with you what I am learning and what I desire to add to my life through study of God's Word and prayer. May you also desire the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment