Monday, April 6, 2015

Today's Focus is on the Word "Be"

It is not what you do that is important as it is what you "BE."
This is what a good friend of mine told me along time ago.

I came across several different scriptures with instructions as to be. 
The first one that came to mind was Psalm26:10, "Be still and know that I am God." 
Be still is not an easy direction to follow. Life is full of activity. How does one be still before God? Stop all activity and find a quiet place to be still and know that He is God.

2. Ephesians 5:1-2, "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma (NASB)." 
Here I am instructed to imitate God and walk in love, just as Christ loved me. I am able to do this through prayer and study of His word. God enables me by the power of the Holy Spirit for I live by the law of the Spirit and not of the flesh, my sinful nature.

3. James 1:19-20, "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires (NIV)."
I like the focus here to be quick to listen. How often do I take time to listen to what someone is saying to me? Often is the case I am in a hurry or I am trying to think of what I am going to say next. I need to take the time to listen. The next ones are just as important. I am to take time before I speak and/or become angry. For in my anger, I can do much to hurt or harm the other person. I need to stop and ask God to help me with my words. 

4. Ephesians 4:32, Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
I am encouraged to show kindness and being tenderhearted forgive others as  God in Christ forgave me. For I am told in Luke 6:31 to do unto others as I would have them do unto me. 

If I take time to be still before God and confess my sins, He will not only cleanse me from my sins but also enable me to be an imitator of Him, be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry as well as be kind and forgiving to others. He does make it all possible. All I need to do is trust and obey.

I will continue more on this theme on Wednesday. I pray that you will take time to BE still and know that God is God. Come and know Him better.

Disclaimer: This is what I have experienced and learned for myself. I share it with you so that you can know what I know. God's grace and peace be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment