Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Peace: Peace Maker vs. Peace Keeper

Live at Peace with Everyone 

God's greatest desire is for His people to live in peace with one another. Yet, there is a big difference between making peace and keeping the peace. 
Keeping the peace is not a healthy choice.  The person keeping the peace sacrifices one's self for the sake of the other person thus losing and being vulnerable to manipulation later. The other person appears to get their way but in the end the relationship is only weakened. This perpetuates a nasty cycle. It is a win-lose situation which in turn becomes resentment later. I know I have been there done that.
Whereas the peacemaker works towards a win-win situation. People involved are free to discuss their opinions and ask questions in order to come to an agreement. There is mutual respect and they seek to understand one another. This is what I am striving to learn and act upon.
There is a really good book titled, "The Peacemaker," by Ken Sande. In chapter 2, he discusses peace with God, peace with others, and peace within yourself. He states that this peace, which often is referred to as "unity," is not the absence of strife and conflict. The unity is the presence of genuine harmony, understanding, and goodwill. From my experience, I have come to understand that some of the strife between people can stem from a lack of peace within themselves. I get my peace within from my personal relationship with Jesus because He gave me a right standing before God. He Loved me enough to die for me. 
Hebrews 12:14 (AMP)
  Strive to live in peace with everybody and pursue that consecration and holiness without which no one will [ever] see the Lord.
Mark 9:50 (AMP)
Salt is good (beneficial), but if salt has lost its saltiness, how will you restore [the saltiness to] it? Have salt within yourselves, and be at peace and live in harmony with one another.
James 3:17  (TLB)
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. It is wholehearted and straightforward and sincere. 
 
I particularly like James 3:17. It is God's wisdom that can help us work out peace because it allows for discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. It is wholehearted and straightforward and sincere. Praise be to God for this is where I am learning to operate from and now I understand better that it is God working in me.

Brothers and Sisters in Christ seek to live at peace with all people for this is how we reflect Christ to those around us. With God all things are possible.

My Prayer: Dear Father in heaven, I rejoice at this point in my life where I can strive to live at peace with others. Forgive me, Lord, when I fail to work toward peace. I truly desire to reflect You in my life to others. May we all strive to live in peace with one another. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. So true, it wasn't until I had peace with my past, my present and my unknown future that I knew what it really meant " to live in peace with everybody". Everybody, including my self!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an important distinction! I've realized that often at work, and in dealing with others, I am a "peacekeeper" rather than a "peacemaker." I have God's peace my heart, so I am able to cut off the cycle and not feel resentment, but it is still not what God truly wants for me to do and be. I need to be making His peace, not keeping the world's. Thank you for some words to think about!

    ReplyDelete