Friday, April 10, 2015

One of The Seasons of Life!

It is Well with My Soul!
Horatio G Spafford, 1873 
Verse 1
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
  • Refrain:
    It is well with my soul,
    It is well, it is well with my soul
    .

This is one of my many Favorite Hymns. I read that he wrote this hymn in the midst of his grief. I am in the season of grief in my life. I, especially, like the first verse when it sings of grief like sea billows roll. This year so far I have lost a cousin to suicide, followed shortly by my father's death last month, and today my son's paternal grandmother died. I am saddened by her death because in her grief she could not bear to embrace her grandson. They both missed out on shared memories. Even so, it is well with my soul.
Isaiah49:13,
Shout for joy, you heavens;
    rejoice, you earth;
    burst into song, you mountains!
For the Lord comforts his people
    and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

God, in His time, comforts His people according to their need. He will never leave me nor forsake me. He knows my pain and His heart aches for my loss. He is a God of compassion for His people which includes me. He knows my needs and will supply all I need in His time. He will be my comfort and my mainstay.

In Ecclesiastes chapter 3 it is beautifully written about the times in our lives. Verse 4 reads, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance. I guess it is my time to weep and to mourn for now but there will come a time when I will laugh and dance again.

Take time today and remember to show love to those closest to you for our days are numbered and we do not know when we may not have the chance again to let them know how much that they matter to us.

My prayer: Dear Father, though my heart is heavy I know that You are near and in time You will comfort me. Please be with those who were the closest to those I lost and comfort them as You know best. Strengthen all of us by Your grace and in the comfort of knowing You. Help me to treasure the memories that I have and to love those around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment