Friday, April 3, 2015

My Thoughts on Good Friday

Scripture Must Be Fulfilled in Jesus

Jesus was not a victim when He went to the cross. He was obeying the will of His Father, God. He willing went to the cross to fulfill scripture.
Jesus said in Luke 22:37, "For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment. 
Jesus was referring to Isaiah 53:12b, because he poured out his soul to death
 and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many,
 and makes intercession for the transgressors. 
He who had no sin (Hebrews 4:15) was numbered with us (transgressors)  when He went to the cross.  According to Romans 3:23 all have sinned (transgressed) and fall short of the glory of God. Fulfillment means completion and this is why Jesus said in John 19:30, "It is finished." He did what we could not do for ourselves. He paid it all. Jesus also intercedes for us.

The cross was a place of shame but Jesus came to do the will of God. Jesus, despising the shame of the cross (Hebrews 12:2), suffered an excruciating death so that believing in Him and His resurrection we would be saved from the wages of sin which is death (Romans 6:23) and eternal separation from God. 

On this day in history, Jesus was scorned, beaten, and tortured to death for all. But as I was reminded recently, Sunday is coming! Jesus was not a victim but the Victor!

May you remember on this day what Jesus willingly suffered for you!

Disclaimer: I know that there are many out there who would discount what Jesus did but I wholeheartedly believe that He did this for me. I want others to know Jesus as He wants them to know Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment