Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Dealing with Disappoinment

Not My Favorite Topic But...
Nevertheless It Happens

Yesterday, I had to work through some disappointment over a request that was turned down. It was not easy for I wanted to resort to old patterns which were passive-aggressive. I struggled with various feelings and talked myself out of the old habits because I knew that they would not accomplish anything. I fumed and I cried. Then I came to the realization that 
1. I set my expectations too high, 
2. I thought too highly of myself, like I deserved it, and 
3. I had the right to be angry.

Well, this morning with time to think it over. God brought to my mind Philippians 2:3-4, Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Who am I to think that I was so special that my request had to be met? It turned out that my request could not be met due to schedule conflict. It was not a rejection.

Next, He brought to mind Luke 6:31, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Would I want someone to mistreat me over something that I could not do for them? Of course not, I would hope the other person would understand. Therefore, I should not mistreat others when I am disappointed.

Thirdly, I can be angry but I am not to sin nor let the sun go down on my anger (Ephesians 4:26-27). Thankfully, I had let my husband know that I was disappointed and before going to bed last night my anger had subsided. God graciously gave me another option to look into to reach my goal. Philippians 4:19 reads,  And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Working through my feelings and letting God know how I felt and asking Him to help me work it all out, I have come out stronger and I am not resentful over it. Again, God's Word has been my resource to help me in my daily life.

May you be encouraged to look to God's Word for answers that you are looking for.

My prayer: Dear Father in heaven, forgive me for thinking too highly of myself. Thank You for Your Word that has lead me to see the error in my ways. Inspire me to do better and  to seek You first in all that I do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment