Monday, August 10, 2015

Walk In The Way Of Love

Our Calling and Duty 
 Ephesians 5:1-2 NIV
Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

 Let's explore what it means to walk in the way of love. When I read the above verse in the Amplified. I am instructed to copy and follow Jesus' example. To walk in love is to esteem and delight in one another. I had this opportunity yesterday to delight in a friend's hospitality. Today, I esteemed someone I know from church and watched how she seemed to grow a little taller and had a smile on her face. Christ's love for us is like a sweet fragrance, therefore, we are to be like that to those around us as the opportunity presents itself.

Ephesians 5:15-16 ESV
  Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.

 Here I read that I am to be mindful of how I walk. To live purposefully, worthily, and accurately and to make the most of every opportunity because the days are evil. Live with a sense of purpose. This takes a concentrated effort on my part because I tend to be an 'in the moment' kind of person. I need to stop and think out what I am going to do and ask God to show me where I need to pay attention.
 Colossians 2:6-7 ESV
Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.

 When I read the word therefore I want to know why it is there. So looking at the end of verse five Paul is "rejoicing to see your (Colossians) good order and the firmness of your (Colossians) faith." He goes on to say that I am to walk in Jesus. Again reading from the Amplified, this means to regulate my life and conduct myself in union and conformity to Jesus. This is done with the help of the Holy Spirit, reading the Word, and prayer.

1 John 1:7 NIV  
 But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin. 

This is the best part. I have fellowship with Jesus and with fellow believers. I am purified of my sins by the blood of Jesus. This is why I choose to walk and live with purpose as Jesus did and in Him by the power of the Word and Holy Spirit.
May you, also, be encouraged to walk in the way of love by walking with Jesus.


My Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, Almighty God, I praise the Name of Jesus. I desire to walk in the way of love. Help to live with a purpose. Cause me to conduct myself in union with and conformity to Your Son who gave Himself for me. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment