Friday, July 3, 2015

Spiritual Fitness

Guard Your Heart
Proverbs 4:23
Above all else guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. 
Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

We train our bodies to be physically fit and we read or attend school to sharpen our minds. Physical fitness and mental wellness are important to keep active and alert but one needs to guard one's heart. Spiritual fitness is done through a relationship with Jesus first and then time spent in reading God's word and prayer. As I have been training for the 5K, I have felt the benefits to physical exercise. I enjoy reading various types of books both for leisure and knowledge. Getting back to doing my blog is part of my spiritual exercise. It helps to reinforce what I have already learned and it builds new knowledge and strengthens my faith. According to Proverbs 4:21-22, I am to keep God's word in my heart for they are life to those who find them and health to my whole body.

The Apostle Paul referred to running the race. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. Hebrews 12:1b-2a. In 1 Corinthians 9:23-25 Paul urges believers to run in such a way as to get the prize. The prize that one is to run for is a crown that will last forever. One receives this crown in heaven. Self-discipline is needed to stay the course. By knowing God's, one is less likely to sin. 
Psalm 119:10-12
I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.

Run your race well and guard your heart. 

Here is a Bible fun fact: The Bible is the most shoplifted book in the world. 



My prayer: Dear Lord God, help me to run the race marked out for me. I will hide Your word in my heart that I may not sin against You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment