Monday, July 20, 2015

Meekness: Fruit of the Spirit

What does it mean to be Meek?
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Matthew 5:5
....Meekness, temperance against such there is no law.
Galatians 5:23 (KJV)

Meek does not equal weak! The English Standard Version, NIV, and the AMP use gentleness in place of meekness. Yet, the AMP includes meekness. In my Thompson Chain Reference, it pairs meekness with its opposite, retaliation. Dictionary.com defines meek as humbly patient or docile, as under the provocation from others; overly submissive or complaint; spiritless or tame. Synonyms for meek are forbearing; yielding; unassuming; pacific; calm; soft see gentle. I looked up gentle and I liked what I found under synonyms; gentle, meek, mild refer to an absence of bad temper or belligerence. Gentle has reference especially to disposition and behavior, and often suggests a deliberate or voluntary kindness or forbearance in dealing with others (from Dictionary.com). The way that I see it; meekness is an attitude towards others of forbearance and an easy temper not one that is a quick temper. It is also one that will stand firm yet not feel threatened by what others think or say that is contrary to what one knows to be right. 
As for an example, I think of David in the Old Testament. There were two occasions that David had the opportunity to take King Saul's life but he refrained. When his own son sought his life David did not seek his son's or try to persuade him from doing so. David said, "Behold, my own son seeks my life; how much more now may this Benjaminite! Leave him alone, and let him curse, for the Lord has told him to. It may be that the Lord will look on the wrong done to me,[a] and that the Lord will repay me with good for his cursing today.” (2 Samuel 16:11-12 ESV) Jesus is, of course, an excellent example of meekness. When He was brought before His accusers, there was a moment when He remained silent as a lamb before its slaughter. 
Meekness is knowing when to speak with restraint and not to insight the anger of the one to whom you are speaking. It is not getting easily angered over something that is trivial or seeking retaliation. It does not seek revenge. It is however precious in God's sight. 1 Peter 3:4 (KJV),
But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. Being that it is a fruit of the Spirit I know that of myself I cannot be meek on my own. I can seek after it through prayer and study of His word. God can and will enable me to be meek in my dealing with others.

Footnote:
  1. 2 Samuel 16:12 Septuagint, Vulgate will look upon my affliction


My Prayer: Dear Father in heaven, I ask that You would enable me to be meek in dealing with others. Help me not to be quick to become angry and to speak up when it is called for. All to Your glory. Amen.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment