Thursday, July 9, 2015

Similarities of Physical & Spiritual Disciplines

What Do Faith and Physical Exercise Have in Common?

Continuing on a theme of running a race, I have found some similarities between faith and exercise. You see, I have known the benefits to physical exercise but yet, I kept putting it off. I was reluctant to begin or not consistent in doing it. It takes discipline to get good at it. I have had to make changes and sacrifices to discipline myself in order to succeed and do better. I now choose to get up early three mornings a week to run/walk 3.1 miles and do strength exercises on the off days. The benefits that I have experienced are better sleep, healthy blood pressure, and improved appetite. I have even begun to like to exercise and hope to continue to do so.

Putting one's faith in Jesus and following Him is similar. Yet, there are eternal benefits as opposed to the benefits of physical exercise. There are choices and sacrifices to make such as changes in one's behaviors and the possibility of rejection of friends or family. The rewards, however, are definitely worth it. At first, one does not want to accept and follow because change seems daunting but once one makes that step of faith, God will not disappoint. With faith comes the discipline of prayer, reading the Bible, and worship. The benefits are both physical and eternal. The fruits of the Spirit are eternal mentioned in 
Galatians 5:22-24, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 
 Physical benefits are less stress and comfort in times of trouble. 
Philippians 4:6-7
do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

As I have been working on my discipline of exercise in order to participate in a 5K, I also strive to improve my spiritual discipline to become more like Christ and bring God glory both in my actions and in my words.

How is your discipline? What has been your experience?

Interesting Bible Fact: The last word in the Bible is AMEN.

My prayer: Dear God, thank you for giving my the desire to exercise and increase in me an even bigger desire for Your word and faithfulness to You. To You be all glory and honor. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment