Friday, July 17, 2015

Find Rest for Your Soul

Jesus Said,
 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
Matthew 11:28-30

This world keeps me busy and there are times when I need rest. That is when Jesus' words come to mind. My soul longs for rest as did David's did in Psalm 62:5-6,  
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from Him.
Truly He is my rock and my salvation;
    He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
 and David mentions rest again in Psalm 91:1-3,
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely He will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
  One of my challenges is to be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10). The Amplified reads To let be and be still. I like that because it reminds that I cannot control others and I am to be still before the Lord. It is all too simple. I find myself needing more direction but none really is needed when I do as the Word says, Be still. This is the rub. Being still takes patience. Yet, there is great reward. It says so in Isaiah 40:30-31,
Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint. 
The last part of Nehemiah 8:10 tells me that the joy of the Lord is my strength. So why is it that I struggle to find time to be still before the Lord? Yes, it is the struggle between my spirit and my flesh. It is much like a child not wanting to take medicine in order to get better. God has proven Himself time and time again, therefore, I am the one who needs to make the change and be obedient.

May you, too, find rest for your soul in God.

 My Prayer: Father in heaven, forgive my reluctance to be still before You and let things/others be. You know me better than I do. Thank You for Your faithfulness and Your mercies. Put in me the desire to be still before You and help me to create the habit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment