Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Where I Have Lived Growing Up

My Many Travels as a Child

I remember living in South Carolina, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania in my early elementary years. Sadly, some of the memories that I have from these moves were not pleasant. I was an easy target for bullying and teasing. We moved back to Texas after my 2nd grade year. I remember  having to attend speech therapy because I was sounding like someone from the northeast and not like a true Texan (LOL).

My next move came in my 6th grade year when we moved to Terrell, Texas. Again, there are some not so pleasant memories. I often got off the school bus in tears more often than not. I had the unfortunate experience of having had the chicken pox that year. It was here that my youngest brother was killed.

My 7th grade year, we moved to Gresham, Oregon. This was a good year. The school was a year around school which I happened to like and I made a good friend with whom I am now connected to on Facebook. Living in Oregon was great. It was beautiful with lots of waterfalls to see. Sadly, we would move again and just before Mount St. Helen erupted.

We moved across country to Spartanburg, South Carolina. We would live there til the middle of my junior year. I have many found memories. We often went camping in the mountains and my favorite place was and still is Table Rock State Park. I was a member of the marching band in high school. We had sharp uniforms and good supervision. When returning to campus from an away game we would sing the Alma mater song. My brother and I had many friends in our neighborhood. 

Our last move would be to Georgetown, Texas, in the middle of my junior. I regretted the move. I was not fair to my parents because I held on to that regret through the remainder of my high school years. The marching band was one of the best in the state but was so vastly different from the one I left. It was lenient in the discipline and unsupervised on the buses when we went to away games. The band director was a great leader and had high expectations of the members. Georgetown High School had clicks, groups with special members, and if you were not in one then you were considered an outcast. I had a few friends but I was not a part of a click.

So why do I share this with you, you might ask? Well so you know where I am coming from and what my life experiences are. Though it was tough God saw me through it all and He used these experiences to shape me into the person that I have become and that I might share the comfort that He has given me with others.   
2 Corinthians 1:3-4, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."

My disclaimer: I know that every believer's relationship to God is different and unique. You may not have the same experiences and that is okay. I am sharing because I want to bring Him the glory for what He is doing in me and impart to you what I have learned from His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment