Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Put on the New Self Part 4

 What We are to Put On
Colossians 3:11-13, "Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave,free; but Christ is all, and in all.12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive."

In Verse 11, Paul is telling us that as believers we are all the same in Christ. There is not distinction between one another for Christ is all, and in all.

In verse 12 to the end of the chapter, Paul is telling us what it looks like to be as Christ would have us to be. We are going to look at 12 & 13 today. Let us take a closer look at the word meekness. It is defined in Wikipedia as follows, 'Meekness is a possible attribute of human nature and behavior. It has been defined in several ways: righteous, humble, teachable, and patient under suffering willing to follow gospel teachings; an attribute of a true disciple.' There is a lot in just these two verses. We are instructed to put on compassionate hearts, kindness, humility and patience. We are to bear with one another meaning carrying and supporting each other and most important to forgive as the Lord has forgiven us. I like to think of this as thinking outside of ourselves and being other-minded. Again we find the word must in verse 13 which implies that we are to take action and not hold back. Luke 6:31 comes to my mind, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (NIV).' Of ourselves, it is not possible but through prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit, it is possible. God gives us the grace to put these on especially when one stops to consider how much He has forgiven you. I have seen this in my own life and it has surprised me what He has given me the strength to do. 

For instance, I have been able to be gracious when someone made an attempt to push my button in order to get a certain response out of me. I saw it for what it was and did not overreact. God helps me to see what is really going on and respond rather than react to the situation. I may not always get it right but God gives me grace when I fall short.

On Friday, we will look at verse 14-17. Until then rejoice in the Lord; again I say rejoice.

What can you ask God to help you put on as you draw closer to Him?

My disclaimer: I know that every believer's relationship to God is different and unique. You may not have the same experiences and that is okay. I am sharing because I want to bring Him the glory for what He is doing in me and impart to you what I have learned from His word.

2 comments:

  1. God's grace is so amazing!! He gives us opportunities to succeed and grow in his grace, and even when we come to him with our failure he comforts us and shows us his unchanging love!
    In the world, meekness is usually thought of as being quiet and easily overruled by others. But it is rather the opposite: a strong spirit controlled by the Holy Spirit! Meekness was once described to me as being like a horse, a great stallion, that wants to run, and has the power to run free, but at a command from his Master he turns and obediently controls his power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully put, Beth. I love the word picture!

    ReplyDelete