Monday, March 23, 2015

Prayer Can Be Brief

Our Brief Prayers Can Be Powerful
James 5:16b
The prayer of a righteous person has 
great power as it is working.

Jesus prayed a brief prayer on the cross Luke23:34. There are a number of examples of brief prayer Jabez, 1 Chronicles 4:10; Hezekiah, when sick, Isaiah 38:2-3; and Stephen, Acts 7:60.  A righteous person is one who is in right standing with God. One receives this right standing with God when one belies in the Lord Jesus Christ and in His death and resurrection.

Eccelesiates 5:2 reads, "Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few." I do believe the Rebecca St. James has a song about let my words be few.

Jesus spoke against the scribes and their pretense to make long prayers in Mark 12:38-40. When He taught the disciples to pray He told them not to heap up empty words for God knows what you need before you ask Him Matthew 6:7-8. Be specific in one's prayers .

I learned a long time back that if I keep this acronym in mind it helps me to focus. ACTS for Adoration- Praising God for who He is, Confess- agree with God that what I did was wrong and seek His forgiveness, Thanksgiving-what I am thankful to God for, and Supplication- asking God for my needs and the needs of others. Turning a psalm into prayer is a great way to pray. Psalm 100 is short only 5 verses. It is great for praising God.

Psalm 100
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
    Serve the Lord with gladness!
    Come into his presence with singing!
Know that the Lord, he is God!
    It is he who made us, and we are his;
    we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
    and his courts with praise!
    Give thanks to him; bless his name!
For the Lord is good;
    his steadfast love endures forever,
    and his faithfulness to all generations.


My prayer: Dear Father in heaven, Your are great and worthy to be praised. I confess that I have sinned against You and I ask for Your forgiveness. I thank You for Your steadfast love and that You are faithful to all generations. Thank You for my home and family that You have blessed me with. I ask that You would be with my father as his time draws near and I trust him into Your care. Comfort my family at this time. May those who read this be encouraged and grow closer to You. Your will be done. Amen.

 

1 comment: