Thursday, March 5, 2015

Put on the New Self Part 2

We pick up from Monday's posting. We are focusing on Colossians chapter 3. On Monday we covered verses 1-4. Today's passage is verse 5-7. 
"Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming. In these you too once walked, when you were living in them," (ESV).

You might ask, how does one put to death that which is earthly in us?  Good question! Here we will use scripture to interpret scripture. Romans 6:13a reads, "Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness." God gives us the power to put to death that which is earthly in us through study of His word, prayer, and the power of the Holy Spirit. We are to choose not to sin. The earthly things that are to be put to death are listed in the second half of verse 5 above. Ephesians 5:3 tells us that sexual impurity and all impurity or covetousness must not even be mentioned among us as is proper among the saints. Covetousness is referred to as idolatry (Eph. 5:5). Idolatry is the worship of an idol or a physical object as a representation of a god. So when one covets what someone else has, one is putting that desire before God in one's life. As followers of Christ, we are called to live differently so that when others look at us they will want what we have. 

Back to the question at hand, as a follower of Christ, I am to strive to put God first and forsake the sins which once entangled me. The wrath of God is coming against these sins and in verse 7 above I am reminded that I, too, once walked in these before Jesus came into my life. 1 Corinthians 10:13 reads, "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." Therefore, as  followers of Christ, we have a way to avoid the temptation to sin and God will provide that way out. Where it gets challenging is our own free will. One has to ask one' self, "Will I choose my own path or will I choose to follow God's and make the right decision?" One has to be willing to accept the consequences of that choice.

Will you choose to follow your own will or God's perfect and pleasing will?


My disclaimer: I know that every believer's relationship to God is different and unique. You may not have the same experiences and that is okay. I am sharing because I want to bring Him the glory for what He is doing in me and impart to you what I have learned from His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment