Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Can You Find Jesus in Psalm 22?

Jesus' Crucifixion
As seen in Psalm 22:1a,16-18 (NIV)
 

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

 15 my strength is dried up like a potsherd,
    and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
    you lay me in the dust of death.
16 For dogs encompass me;
    a company of evildoers encircles me;
they have pierced my hands and feet—
17 I can count all my bones—
they stare and gloat over me;
18 they divide my garments among them,
    and for my clothing they cast lots."

 I remember reading this psalm back when I was still in the military at Bergstrom AFB. For me it was amazing to see Jesus in this. It was like visiting the cross myself. This Easter I hope that you would take the time to consider what Jesus went through so that you might not perish but have everlasting life. The following references are taken from the NIV. I am listing the verse from the Psalm  and then where I have found the similarity in the New Testament.

22:1 - Jesus cried out, "My God , My God, why have You forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46)
22:15 - Jesus was weakened from loss of blood from sweating blood and from the flogging. (Luke 22:44; Mark 15:15)Jesus complains of thirst from the cross. (John19:28)
22:16 - The Roman soldiers mocked Jesus and drew lots for his clothing. (Matthew 27:27-31) Jesus' hands and feet were pierced. (John 20:25b-26)
22:17 - The chief priests and the teachers of the law mocked Him. (Matthew 27:41-43)

Jesus willing went to the cross for everyone. Hebrews 12:2b-3 explains it so beautifully,
"For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Celebrate this Easter with joy and thanksgiving to our risen Lord and Savior! Be sure to go and see the Easter Triumph Passion Play March 28th.

My disclaimer: I know that every believer's relationship to God is different and unique. You may not have the same experiences and that is okay. I am sharing because I want to bring Him the glory for what He is doing in me and impart to you what I have learned from His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment