Monday, June 29, 2015

Wait for the Lord

No One Likes to Wait but
Waiting on the Lord,
Who is Our Hope,
Is What We are Called to do.

Lamentations 3:22-26
 Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for His compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
    therefore I will wait for him.”
25 The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
    to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly
    for the salvation of the Lord.

David, before he became king, did a lot of waiting on the Lord after he was anointed by Samuel to be Israel's next king. In Psalm 38:15, David said that he would wait on the Lord for He will answer and in 119:166, David waited for the salvation of the Lord. As David waited for the Lord, he had to serve under King Saul who had made many attempts to kill David, yet David did not kill King Saul when the opportunity presented itself. David waited on the Lord with all of himself and put his hope in God's word, Psalm 130:5.
To be honest, I am not good at waiting either. I tend to get impatient in lines at the store or a traffic light. Yet, when I relax and wait my stress goes down and the wait does not seem to be too long. Waiting on the Lord takes a knowledge of the One in whom I am waiting. He is God of the universe whose timing is far better than I could ever fathom. I often need to take time to pray and ask Him to help me wait. This is why I like the way Isaiah 30:18 reads in the amplified version.

 And therefore the Lord [earnestly] waits [expecting, looking, and longing] to be gracious to you; and therefore He lifts Himself up, that He may have mercy on you and show loving-kindness to you. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are all those who [earnestly] wait for Him, who expect and look and long for Him [for His victory, His favor, His love, His peace, His joy, and His matchless, unbroken companionship]!

There were a number of verses listed next to this verse that name what we are waiting on from Him, they can be found on this link. So the next time you find yourself having a hard time waiting on the Lord, pray and ask God to help you wait. Trust Him for He is indeed trustworthy.

My Prayer: Dear Lord God, I confess that I am not good at waiting. Please help me to trust in You and learn to wait on You for Your timing is far better than I can imagine. You are sovereign and everything in Your time. May I encourage others to learn to wait also. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment