Saturday, June 27, 2015

Faith is More than Believing

It is in How We Live Our Lives in a Way that Reflects 
that We Cherish God and Rejoice in His Grace.
Hosea 13:4
But I am the Lord your God
    from the land of Egypt;
you know no God but me,
    and besides me there is no savior.

I have wrongfully neglected my blog. God used the words of a friend to encourage me to return to my first love, God and His word. I have recently read through Hosea. It was not an easy read at first. It left me not wanting God to think of me in the same light. In Hosea, God lamented over Israel's unfaithfulness to Him. Hosea pointed out Israel's sin to them and wanted to shock them to repentance. The imagery was rough but it had to be to make the point that rejecting God's love hurts Him. Hosea wanted them to see God in a new light. God felt like a man whose wife was unfaithful to him. God remained faithful to Israel and He remains faithful to me.

I had to come to terms with the fact that there were times in my life since I had come to know Jesus that I was unfaithful. When I was in my 20's I dabbled in things that were not God directed such as tarot cards, dungeons and dragons, and numerology. I did not see it then as being unfaithful but having read through Hosea I see it for what it is. Presently, business (busy ness) had become an idol and has kept me from time in His word and this blog. I have to look at these as God sees it so that I can confess my unfaithfulness and return to Him. I have to face the truth about myself in order to know God for who He is. As I come to know myself better, I can experience His grace and in turn love Him with all of me. This is His desire for me as it was for Israel in the book of Hosea.

Faith is more than mere belief. It is living my life in way that shows that I cherish God and rejoice in His grace. I have been attending Celebrate Recovery for more than 4 years and I see it as means to face my sins before God and someone I trust in order to embrace God's grace and live a life that is pleasing to God.
The last chapter of Hosea paints a beautiful image of God's love for Israel as for all who believe in His Son. So I leave you with the last verse.
Whoever is wise, let him understand these things;
    whoever is discerning, let him know them;
for the ways of the Lord are right,
    and the upright walk in them,
    but transgressors stumble in them. Hosea 14:9

My Prayer: Forgive me, Oh Lord God, for allowing other things to take Your place in my life. Let me return to Your love and grace so that I may live my life in a way that reflects Your grace and is pleasing to You. May others be encouraged to examine themselves before You and embrace Your amazing grace. Amen.

1 comment: